Sunday, February 13, 2011

Amazing stunts + unfortunate circumstances = a week full of boring o and a concussion

Cheerleading is the best part of my day so when I was faced with the dilemma of having to take a break from what I loved, I had no idea how to handle the situation. I was diagnosed with a concussion last Wed, Feb 2. I did not want to go to the hospital because I knew enough to know that if I had a concussion, they would have to contact my parents, coach, and then I would have to take a break from cheerleading. Relentlessly I went to the hospital, and the doctor confirmed that I did have a concussion, and that I would have to take a break from cheering. This seemed crazy to me because coming up that week I had five games I needed to attend and two major practice. The team was depending on me, and I could not let them down. For the next three days I rested, trying to not think about the game or workouts that I was missing. I drove my friends crazy while I was at school because I was really restless to run and workout again. I went home for the weekend, to insure that I was resting and not doing anything that would put me out of cheerleading any longer. Monday night I was seen by the doctor, and I was for sure that the weekend of doing nothing would cure me and that he would clear me. When he didn't clear me, I was super upset. On Wed, I took the inPACT test which a series of test that test your memory, how fast your brain processes information, and your reaction time. After the test they checked me for more symptoms. This past Thursday I was allowed to workout for twenty minutes, and my mood changed almost instantly. I could finally see the end coming, and things would return to normal. Friday I went back to Sports Medicine with high hopes that they would clear me. But once again they did not because I did not do well on the inPACT test, but they allowed to me to take it again that day. So after I took the test, I awaited the phone call that would tell me whether or not I would cheer at one of the biggest games of the season, coming up Saturday. Well at 5:37 I received the phone call that I had been sort of cleared, meaning I can cheer again but no stunting or tumbling. At that point I could not even complain because I had missed cheering so much.
Saturday evening, after I went through the game appreciating every moment I had as a cheerleader, I wondered why all of this happened in the beginning, what did I learn from it. Now I think it is that I did not appreciate it as much as I should. Cheering has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I believe that in a way I was just seeing it as something I can always turn to, and it will always be there. Well this isn't true, and I know have seen from personal experience. Cheerleading was given to me, I don't deserve it. I am thankful that I had the time off to do other things I love such as play the piano, see my best friend, and see that people really care about me. As I continue the rest of the season, I have this new found appreciation for the team I am a part of, the integrity we have as a whole, the talent God has given me, the strength I found, and the passion of doing what I love. For everyone that helped me get back to my normal self thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment